Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Potluck Pleasers, Episode 2, The Best Garlic Green Salad


Hi friends! It's getting hot outside and we are just a short time away (where I live) from home grown tomatoes!! This is one of my favorite things about summer...fresh tomatoes. I'm sorry, but tomatoes in the store just aren't the same. And to celebrate the thought of fresh tomatoes....I am sharing another one of my favorite potluck salads today! I love this salad in the summer...and so does everyone else!! I grow lettuce and sweet Sun Sugar cherry tomatoes in my garden and they are perfect for this green salad. I have taken this to many potluck gatherings over the years and it's always a favorite. I did not create it, I got it from my sister in-law and I don't know where it originated, but it's the best! And too good not to share!


My favorite part (besides homegrown tomatoes) is the dressing. It's simple, fresh, and delicious!
There are a few "rules" if you are going to try this recipe....Promise me that you won't use "fake" lemon juice (from a bottle), imitation bacon bits, or the kind of Parmesan cheese that comes in a can! Okay, glad I got that off my chest! This salad will NOT be the same if you use any of the above items. You may substitute your favorite oil if you prefer, just realize it will change the flavor too.

Here we go!

Ingredients:

Romaine Lettuce, 2 heads, chopped
Bacon Strips, 8-10 cooked and crumbled
Parmesan Cheese, 1 Cup, grated
Cherry Tomatoes, 2 Cups, I like to cut them in half, you can leave whole if you prefer, I like a smaller bite.
Slivered Almonds, toasted (I put mine on a cookie sheet and use my toast function on my oven) you just want a nice light browning here, don't burn them!

Dressing:
Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice, 1/4 Cup
Vegetable Oil, 3/4 Cup
Garlic Cloves, 4-5 minced fine (you can adjust the "garlicyness" on this if you want, I like 5)
Salt, 1/2 teaspoon`
Pepper, 1/2 teaspoon

Directions:
I mix the dressing ingredients in a pint mason jar with a lid and ring and shake until incorporated. Then set aside until ready to serve. Cook bacon, let cool, then cut or crumble into about 1/2" pieces. Toast your almonds in the oven, on a cookie sheet, 400 degrees or so, for about 5 min. (this may vary so watch them!) you just want a light brown color. Wash and cut cherry tomatoes in halves. Cut lettuce into bite size pieces. All ingredients (except dressing) can be stored in same bowl, covered in refrigerator and when you get ready to eat, shake dressing, pour over and stir until salad is coated and well mixed, then serve. This salad does not keep well over night, (gets soggy) however you will rarely have leftovers!

Hope you all have a wonderful Summer and get out there and share some Potluck Love!!

3 comments:

  1. Oh this is my favorite salad ever! I am a garlic lover and this salad hits the taste buds every time! :) you gotta try it! Jodie

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited to try this today for Fathers Day! Anything from Kacey's Kitchen is delish!
    thanks for sharing !
    Darann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Darann,
      Thanks for coming by! Hope your fam loves the salad too! Have a super day!
      Loves Kacey

      Delete