Friday, November 29, 2013

Inexpensive Ideas for Christmas Porch Decor

Here is the finished project.
I like to decorate using my flower pots.
Happy "Black Friday" all! (As you can see, I am not out shopping today. Don't get me wrong, I love to shop, but standing in lines, crowds of people fighting over a $20 item, getting trampled is just not my style. You could say I'm a little claustrophobic too! (If any of you love the "Black Friday" thing, good for you! It's just not for me.) So I spent today at home with my family, eating left-overs (lots of pie), taking down Fall decorations and getting started on my Christmas décor. My mama has been here for the Holiday and we always love to have her! She's fun and oh so creative! She helped me get a start on my porch décor. We decided that you don't have to spend a lot of money to decorate creatively and uniquely. Today we used branches cut from my Pine trees in my yard, my daughters collected Pinecones and Acorns from our trees and I had some cheap greenery and poinsettia branches from Wal-Mart (they were like $3, I'm sure you could get some from the Dollar Store just the same only cheaper!) I had some leftover Gold Metallic Spray Paint. We spray painted the pinecones and acorns and some of the Pine greenery. I think I may be addicted to Gold Spray Paint. "Hello, my name is Kacey and I'm addicted to decorating with Metallic Gold Spray Paint!" (I promise I'm not huffing!) But, I may need a 12 step program because I can't stop using it to decorate! (There are worse things right?!) Ever since I used it to spray my pumpkins at Halloween I have been hooked, and it's carrying on into Christmas! My mom had the great idea to create a real Pine greenery garland along my brick ledge. One by one, she placed the short branches in between the siding and the metal piece that connects the siding to the brick. (Worked like a charm and I think it looks great!) She's a genius, I'm telling you! Here is a look at the beginning of our Christmas Porch Décor. It's not completed yet, but we'll give you some ideas and a first glance. We spent very little on what we have here! The wreath was made of old jeans. The Pine boughs, Pinecones and Acorns were free (from my yard) and I think I spent about $10 on the faux greenery boughs from Wal-Mart. And the spray paint and red ribbons I had left over from another project. The Gold Star hanging in my window used to be black. I found it laying on the ground out on the farm and decided to give it a new life (the West Mountain wind must have picked it up off the shed and blewn it away!)
Here's a look at the beginning of my Christmas porch décor:
Here's my denim jean wreath going from Fall to Christmas.

Spraying pinecones and getting my nails painted at the same time. (I don't recommend this method of nail painting, it's a little sloppy!) I really should wear gloves.
This middle pot was compliments of my 8 year old. I just added the Poinsettias.


Here we sprayed the entire branch with the Gold Spray Paint and used some faux greenery.
Here is a close-up of our Sprayed Pinecones and the faux Poinsettias.

Here's a close-up of a sprayed Acorn.
 
Here is the old Star prior to it's new Spray Paint job!
The "after", I like it Gold!
Here was Mom's real Pine house garland.
 
A close -up of her garland.

4 comments:

  1. Oh I love me Some spray paint too. Looks great. I can't wait to get outside and do my decor. But it has been way too cold brrrrr.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzi! I lucked out, the weather here has been gorgeous! Thought I'd better get it done while I had sunshine cuz it won't last long!!

      Delete
  2. Love your mom's garland!!! She did a great job (can she come visit me next??) We are headed to the mountains to cut our tree down this weekend--I think I will be gathering some extras while I am up there!!! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ashley! Thanks (I'll be sure to tell Mom you loved it and that she's to come visit!!) She really is amazing, I'm so lucky to have her! I'm jealous about you going to the mountains to pick your tree! We usually do this, however I think we will be going to the local tree lot this year, bummer! Definitely grab some extra branches (or offer to trim a neighbors pine!) Hope yours turns out great too. Thanks for tuning in!!

      Delete