Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Fashionable Farmer/Runway Rancher, Episode 6: Trend Capes and Fringe, The Mini-Cowgirl Cape

You don't have to be Superman to love capes!! The runway is filled with coats that have cape-like
draping, capes and fringe, I'm in! So today's look is how I would style cape-like draping and the fringe trend in our cowgirl way. My oldest daughter has been begging me to make her a "poncho" so I decided to make one.  I bought a yard of Suede Cloth from Joann Fabrics, using the 40% off coupon, score! And then used a Simplicity children's cape pattern. I modified the pattern so as not to use the hood or the tie that is included in the pattern. I have also always wanted to learn how to embroider using beads so I added beaded embellishment to the neck of the cape/poncho. My little was super excited (she had to wear it to school today!)and this went together pretty fast. The sewing is super simple, it's just sewing the back seam together, and finishing the neck with a hem, it's the fringe cutting around the bottom and the beading that took the most time. I still however was able to finish it in a day. (I beaded while overseeing the kids homework.) I think this would be gorgeous and luxurious in a real Suede, but this will do for now! Here are a few pics of the first one I did:
A little fringe inspiration from InStyle Mag.









No comments:

Post a Comment