Sunday, March 17, 2013

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Even if you haven't embraced Emerald the "Color of the Year" yet, you had better be wearing it today or you are going to get pinched! I've seen lots of fun ideas from friends on Facebook and some on Pinterest for this day of green. I decided to let the kids run the show here. And my kids always have an idea of what to do for holidays and art projects. They love them!! My 7 year old wanted to make a tiny leprechaun house and my 5 year old was game. So we got started. We did a simple, small cardboard box, covered in green scrapbook paper and then brushed with Modge Podge and sprinkled with glitter. Cut a few holes for windows and doors and wha-la you've got a tiny leprechaun home! It was my 5 year old's idea to make the stepping stones to the front door out of cookies. I thought that was a great idea, what better way to attract tiny, hungry leprechauns than a cookie path to a custom made home! (Somewhere the kids got the idea that if they built them a house that they would come and leave gifts and treats.) I don't know where they got the idea, but maybe they are related to the Tooth Fairy or Santa Claus. But, I think it's cute...so I'm going to encourage their imaginations.  Hope they bring some goodies! Here's a pic of what the kids created for today. Happy St. Patrick's Day!

 
Update 3/18/13: The kids were so happy the next day to find "evidence" of the Leprechaun's visit. (They found green pee in the toilet and green foot prints on the toilet in the bathroom, what would we do without Pinterest?!) And he brought them each a small pile of gold candies and Silly Putty.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment