Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Now what do you do with all that stuff you canned?? Recipe: Chili Sauce Baked Beans

So now that you have used those domestic goddess, mad canning skills, what do you do with all the stuff in those jars? Well I have some suggestions. First we will start with Chili Sauce, since I had a sweet blog follower ask me what I do with it. I make one batch each year that I like to serve as a condiment with any roasted meat. And I also use it in a baked bean recipe that my mom has made for years and it goes like this....

Chili Sauce Baked Beans:
1 Pound Ground Beef
5 Slices Bacon, chopped into pieces
2 Large cans Pork & Beans
1/2 Cup Chili Sauce
1 Large Onion, minced
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar

Brown the beef, bacon and onions together in frying pan. Drain off fat. Mix in all other ingredients, place in casserole dish and bake in oven at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes. Enjoy!

I will give other suggestions for how I use the stuff I put in the bottles in future blog posts. One suggestion in your canning is figuring out what your family likes and how much you will go through each year. As the stuff doesn't keep forever you only want to "put up" what you will eat in a year. For me this took trial and error. The first year I made Chili Sauce, I went a little "over-achiever" and we never ate it all, so now I know one batch of that is enough. Now, salsa on the other hand is another story! I made 96 jars last year and we ran out. So as you start canning and using what you can, you will find out how much you will need. Happy Canning! I think a batch of Jalapeno Pepper Jelly is on my agenda today.




No comments:

Post a Comment