Friday, August 10, 2012

Idea of the day: Otter Pop Coozie

My kids love Otter Pops in the summer time, and  honestly...so do I!! But the kids complain that they are too cold to hold and will usually request a paper towel to wrap around them. So I thought I would create something to make little hands more comfy. Coozies are usually used to hold a cold or hot drink, but I think the idea works here too. They are a simple fabric sheath to slide your favorite pop into and ENJOY! (Keep in mind the measurements included here are for the "Walmart" brand of frozen pops that are larger than the Otter Pops brand. But you could just adjust your measurements to fit whatever brand you like.) These are simple, super fast to make and don't waste paper towels that cost money and leave a bigger carbon foot print.

To Make:

You will need a scrap piece of fabric, I used a piece 5x10", I folded the 5" edge over about 1/4" pressed, then folded over again about 1/4" pressed again, (to make a nice hem with no fraying for the top, where the pop slides in.) Then sewed across the top to hold the pressed hem in place. Then folded the fabric in half the long way with right sides together and sewed a 5/8" seam down the 10" side and then close to the bottom I put needle down, lifted the foot and rotated the fabric to stitch the bottom also. Then I trimmed the excess fabric from the sewn edges and turned it right side out. Pressed out the wrinkles and wa-la! (The only thing I will do different next time is I will double the fabric to make one more layer of insulation between little hands and the pop.)

2 comments: